PDA

View Full Version : College Football Week 1: Games I'll Be Watching

R. Rich
09-03-2011, 01:22 PM
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Great drama (if not great defense) to kick off the seasonfrom the TCU-Baylor game last night. What an upset win for the Bears! Yeah baby…..college football is back! We’re getting’ close to game time for the early ones today, so here goesmy take on a few matchups from opening week.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Here's a few games I'll be watching/tivo'ing/VCR recordingthis week:<o:p></o:p>

GAME #1: Indiana State @ PENN STATE<o:p></o:p>

Why this game?: Duh. It's the opening game for mybeloved Nittany Lions! I think theycould surprise some folks this season, but they are still not a finishedproduct.<o:p></o:p>

Player(s) To Watch Out For: While neither guy is getting’ the All-Americahype, DE Jack Crwaford and DT Devon Still are players who can make a differencefor the Nittany Lions. LB Michael Mautigets plenty of props as the next “great PSU ‘backer”. We’ll see if he can live up to such highpraise. I am curious to see whatsophomore RB Silas Redd can do. WR DerekMoye has been a good playmaker, but we’ll see what happens w/ the QB shufflePSU seems to be set to use w/ Rob Bolden and Matt McGloin.<o:p></o:p>

Prediction: TheLions need to get off to a great start. They have to show they can run well, play good defense, and settle theirQB issue. They had better get ittogether quickly. PENN STATE 30 –Indiana State 14<o:p></o:p>

GAME #2: Louisiana-Monroe @ Florida State<o:p></o:p>

Why this game?: It's a chance to see one of the nation's top teams, the 'Noles, in theirdebut. I actually believe they couldfinish, if there are no stumbles along the way, higher than many of the polls andpredictions I've read. What helps isthat the ACC won't be nearly as treacherous to navigate for FSU as the SEC willbe for LSU, 'Bama, Florida, and the like. <o:p></o:p>

Player(s) To Watch Out For: ‘Noles QB EJ Manuel can run it and throwit. Who will catch it? Well, that’s another story. The ‘Noles return 8 offensive starters, butwill miss WR Willie Haulstead, who is out for this game w/ a concussion. Look for Rodney Smith and speed Bert Reed tostep it up. On the defensive side, the ‘Noleshave two of the better players in the nation in CB Xavier Rhodes and LB NigelBradham, but also have a couple of solid linemen in DE Brandon Jenkins and DTJacobbi McDaniel plus the returning Everett Dawkins, who missed last year dueto injury. <o:p></o:p>

Prediction: Louisiana-Monroe could be in for a long day. The ‘Noles bring back a wealth of talent andappear to be the class of the ACC and a legitimate BCS contender thisyear. Manuel could have a monsterdebut. Florida State 44 – Louisiana-Monroe13<o:p></o:p>

GAME #3: Oregon @ LSU <o:p></o:p>

Why this game?: Two of the top rated teams in the nation mixin’ it up @ theJerrydome. Ducks have plenty oftalent. Enough to slow down the BayouBengals? We shall see. Both teams are hurt by losses: the Ducks lose all conference defensiveback/return man Cliff Harris, while LSU will be w/out QB Jordan Jefferson and,perhaps more substantial, WR Rusell Shepard. All three were suspended due to off the field infractions.<o:p></o:p>

Player(s) To Watch Out For: For the Ducks, it starts w/ their dynamitetandem of QB Darron Thomas and RB LeMichael James, a Hypeman finalist lastseason. Both players have game breakingability and are threats to break off the big play. TE David Paulson is also a solid weapon forthe O. The line, anchored by G CarsonYork, lost 3 starters, so we’ll see how they adjust. LSU will be led by backup signal callerJarrett Lee, who has lost ‘bout 20 lbs this offseason and appears to becommitted to gettin’ the job done. Thisis his chance. He’ll get help from thedefense, led by CB Morris Claiborne and LB Ryan Baker.<o:p></o:p>

Prediction: TheBayou Bengals will certainly miss havin’ Shepard out there. They’re gonna have to get more out of guyslike Lee, RB Spencer Ware, and WR Reuben Randle in order to keep up w/ theDucks. What should help ‘em is theirdefense, in particular their front seven. I’ll give ‘em a slight edge sinceI’m old school and, as they say, defense wins championships. LSU 21 – Oregon 17<o:p></o:p>

Enjoy the games, folks!<o:p></o:p>